History of the IAA
The IAA was formed in 1916 as a federated 'Chapter' of the Royal Incorporation of Architects in Scotland (RIAS); one of six Chapters representing Chartered Architects throughout the country. The IAA 'patch' covers the entire Highlands and Islands, including Lochaber and Moray; with a total area larger than Belgium, by far the largest RIAS chapter geographically!
During the 1980's in response to the significant difficulties in representing members effectively across such an area and to address issues of remoteness, CPD and fellowship, a number of 'satellite' local groups were established; these groups now operate in the Western Isles, Shetland, Caithness, Lochaber, Skye and MOray and offer local networking, advice and liaison with IAA in Inverness and the RIAS in EDinburgh. Details of local group convenors are available on request.
welcome to IAA on